Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Secret knitting - Part 2

Here's another gift for a dear high school chum of mine turning 40 this year. Sadly, we don't have the chance to see each other very often now, but when we do, it's as if no time has passed. A special friendship.

leavesonfrost
Forest Canopy Shawl

Or rather "shawlette". I only used 1 skein of Misti Alpaca Handpainted sock yarn in Azulichen. It's large enough to completely cover the shoulders, and would be worn more as a scarf than a shawl.

forestcanopyshawl

Though I love the fall colours in this yarn, I'm not totally sold on the results. Once again, I was lured by the loveliness of the variegated skein. Knit up, it has a vague camo effect that I'm not crazy about. But these are all her favourite colours, so I couldn't resist. I don't think I'll be knitting with variegated yarn again, with the exception of plain socks. But she seemed to really like it, and that's what's important right?

forestcanopycloseup

All that said, Forest Canopy is a great pattern (have a look at Heather's gorgeous version.) Quick, easy to memorize and very pretty. I'm planning on making one for myself, but this time in some heathery, tweedy solid!


0 comments: